Monday, April 14, 2008

What's Your Favorite Era?

So last week Ben and I went to the movie Leatherheads which was an okay movie with a few funny parts but definitely a wait and rent. I do love George Clooney's smile though. There is just something about him that is so endurable. I need to find his secret and try to apply to myself which would still probably not help but it would be worth a try. Anyways back to the topic at hand, the movie was set in the 1920's and after the movie it sparked a topic between Ben and myself. I asked him if he could live in any era in the 1900's besides the one he grew up in, the 90's, what would it be? I told him that mine would be the 20's. Something about that time period just appeals to me. I like the clothing and yes there were clothes other than flapper dresses in the twenties.The other thing I love is all the hats. There we so many styles and every women wore them. I love it. You hardly ever see women in hats now. The automobile industry was just getting started up and I love those old fashion cars.I even like the music and dancing from back then. There seemed to be alot of partying and sporting events back then looked alot more appealing. Not to mention the prohibition. I could of totally been a bootlegger don't you think? The first World War was over and the Great Depression hadn't hit yet so the economy was doing pretty good. I think it would be an interesting time. Sure I might of been shot up by Al Capone but that's part of the excitement of the time. I like things stirred up a little.



Well after I explained all this to him, he thought I was crazy so I asked him when he would and his answer kind of shocked me. He said he would want to live in the 50's. I asked why and he said because it was such a happy time. He liked the idea of soda shops, juke boxes, and doing the jive. It is the Leave To Beaver life style that appealed to him. He liked the thought of the carefree lifestyle. I guess dressing up like the guys in Grease must interest him. The crazy thing is I have asked several guys the same question and they all said the 50's. The first reason they all say is because it was a happy time. Was it really that happy of a time or was it all a show is the question. It was the era of the perfect housewife although Ben denies that that is one of the reasons it appeals to him. *cough, cough* BS. It still shocks me that the 50's is intriguing to so many guy. Am I crazy? I think it seems too perfect to be real. Ben and I both agree though that growing up in the 90's was the best and if we could pick another time we wouldn't. So guys, what era appeals to you?

8 comments:

Renee said...

I wouldn't be too happy about giving up my modern conviences, like the microwave, dishwasher, and computer. I grew up in the 50's thru 70's and it was a good era, certainly less coruption in the world, but I still like my current living conditions and would not want to go back. If I had no choice in the matter I would stick with the 50's, because I loved the music and the dancing from that era.

laceemo3 said...

Loved Loved Loved the late 80s early 90s!!! Hair Metal...Big Hair...Folded and rolled Jeans as Tight as you could get them. Cds were being invented. Guys with Mullets and MTV actualy played Music Videos which we watched religously. What could be better?

Tiffany & Co. said...

I concur with you, the 20s were the best. Best fashion--clothes, hair and red lipstick. It was just such a classy time. I love looking at my grandparents photos from back then.

The Close's Place said...

I'm with Lacee, 80's all the way. What's better than Tiffany, Can't Buy Me Love, and INXS.

Sara said...

I'm for the 30s and 40s, absent the Great Depression, prohibition and WWII. I love swing dancing and Big Band music. It was nice chatting with you the other day, BTW.

Amy said...

I love hats- I used to collect them and I was always sad that great hats have never been popular to wear in our time. So for thst reason I agree-- 20's fashion was awesome. I think poodle skirts are cool too though and I love that the 50s seemed safe. But it would be hard to choose an era to live in. I hated pegged pants in the 80s not so flattering for me. And the leg warmers... 80s is a fun one to recreate.

Diana said...

I'm for the pioneer days, when your kids and husband wore the same outfit all the time. Can you tell I am sick and tired of doing laundry - especially with Maggie changing her outfit 3 to 4 times a day? I missed you at RS, I hope all is well.

Jamie Hadlow said...

It's funny how both Ryan and Ben think the fifties. Yeah, like true American life looked like Leave It To Beaver, whatev. I still can't decide what decade I want to live in. I grew up in the 90's, pretty much, and I would want to keep it that way. The 60's would have been interesting...